Monday, July 30, 2007

Mirror Mind - Penetrating autism's enigma -Eric Y. Chen

THE OTHER SIDE

True autism cannot be described
To Know an orange, taste it
To know autism, experience it.


" Silent, unresponsive. Alone, in his own world. Autistic. The child with blank eyes, not looking, not staring. Time continues weaving past him.


Without warning, he roars into action, running in agitated circles. Like a monk chanting mantras, the boy begins to recite the same phase over and over again. It was lines from that advertisement again.

The adults uttered as they look on and shake their heads helplessly. Autism, they mysterious thief of the children's souls, has struck yet another child. I was one of these children who witnessed the theft."



"The book is a mere translation, parable, or analogy bridging the two different worlds of experience with metaphors spoken in a familiar language and mentality.

I can only show you the shadow of autism
Beware of treating it for real
For the real cannot be shown; but only experienced directly."

" I was autistic as a child
I experienced what it is like to be human past 21
I know i was the acorn who grew into the oak tree
It is my desteny to experience all these

My desteny is a present to me
For you the reader, I present it to you
Not out of pride or prejudice
But out of joy and sharing"



"Last but not least, thank you autism, for showing me the grandness of the human experience by depriving me of it."





[Conheci o Eric há quatro meses e tivemos algumas conversas incríveis. Logo de imediato apercebi-me que não era uma pessoa comum. O Eric é autista e ofereceu-me este livro escrito por ele. Vou passar a publicar de tempos a tempos alguns dos seus textos que de uma forma poética ilustra o autismo às massas,a sua escrita não sendo experiencias reais mas sim baseada na sua experiencia pessoal de como vive/ser uma criança autista.]

No comments: